Everyday in the present is a miracle

"Every day in the present -is a miracle"

Monday, February 15, 2010

SKIING, DOGGIE DAY CARE & VALENTINE'S DAY IN AK 2010


SKIING
For at least 7 years when I did my beginning of the year goals, in the area of social development, going skiing is always on the list. This was kind of far fetch as one, very few Blacks, for one reason or the other, go skiing. My good friend Martha, who is from a Hispanic background, had gone often with her then African boyfriend, now husband and encouraged me on my quest. 


Second, most of my friends and family know that over 20 years ago I was assaulted, one in which my leg should have been amputated. Needless to say, my strength, sensation, coordination , and balance in my left leg is significantly impaired. For all intent and purposes, I should not be walking on it, but I serve a God who is in the restoration business. Needless to say, there are many things that are still difficult for me to do, couple with the fact that over the years because of my abnormal gait pattern, my knee joints, hip joints, and back are out of sync. Skiing I know would be challenging but it is one of those bucket list things.


So on this past Thursday, Paulette and I- she dubbed herself the Medicare skiing grandma, rented skis from REI and decided we were going skiing- skiing at night might I add.
 Sunset at Russian Jack Trails minutes before our skiing excursion.












































Here are the gears needed for skiing, boots, skis, and poles.


So after struggling, I got the boots to fit on to the skis. The time of reckoning was approaching. Paulette was there coaching and encouraging and just when I thought I got it, bam, I fell on my buttocks and could not get up. I concluded that I would of to spend the night laying in the snow. By some Divine intervention I got up back on my feet after about 5 minutes of struggling. Mind you, it felt like eternity. I was going again and bam, fell another time. This time this damsel in distress was rescued by Randy- an expert, skier. He give a few tips and then moved on.















It did not take long for me to get up and go only to fall again.  Do you feel like that at times, you try to get up and move on, only to fall again. Hold on though, help is on the way. This time Darcy, my help, came to our rescue. She suggested that I walk with only one ski on, showed me how to snow ploughed with two skis on, turning the knees in when walking up hill, ect but most of all she was so nice and giving. Turned out that we both needed each other that night. Darci admitted that she had a terrible week and the fact that she was able to help, actually lifted her spirit. God is amazing! So the plan is to go out again this coming Tuesday evening.
Darcy and I











Paulette down the slope



On the skis


Adventurous Paulette, learned so much from her. Will miss her dearly!!


DOGGIE DAY CARE

Paulette has the most beautiful Sheltie call "Foxy". While here in Anchorage, Foxy went to doggie day care. It was fascinated to see the set up, it was just like a child's daycare. There were little cubbies for each individual dogs and Foxy made Paulette a Valentine card. It was cute. I am thinking of getting a little Bichon  Frise.

Foxy's friends at Doggie Day CareFoxy in the snow

Foxy and Paulette went back to Georgia this past Saturday, gonna miss them both!


VALENTINE'S DAY
One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men — his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. He was executed on February 14th. There is also a pagan past that is associated with this holiday. Source  www.history.com/video.do?name=valentinesday&bcpid

So this is a day for lovers as some would say. A day when roses, chocolates and the likes are showered on individuals. Personally , I am affirming what one of my FB friends said, that love and appreciation should be given 365 days of the year.

So today was a warm and balmy 34 degrees in Anchorage with a little bit under 9 hours of daylight. Today the sun was in all of its glory. It was a beautiful day spent visiting one of my former patient's, watching a classic at the Bear Tooth Theater, "Casablanca" starring Humprey Bogart and Engrid Bergman. One in which an imperishable love was portrayed. I had a thai spicy chicken pizza and top off the day by shopping at costco. Overall a wonderful day with the highlight being catching up with friends on family on the phone and spending time visiting  my former patient.

A beautiful day

Ready to go on the roads















First floor of one of the local hospitals
















No comments:

Post a Comment